What is a vape?
A vape or electronic cigarette, is an electronic device that creates Vapor by heating up liquid, this liquid delivers nicotine, marijuana (THC), or other drugs to the user via a mouthpiece that is inhaled into the lungs and then expelled via the mouth or nose. vapes appear to be a healthier alternative to smoking cigarettes and they are known by many different names and come in many shapes, sizes and device types.
Devices may be referred to as:
● Vape pens, dab pens, and dab rigs
● Electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS)
The use of e-cigarettes or vapes is sometimes referred to as “vaping” or “juuling”.
There are two kinds of vaping devices:
- open, which means they can be refilled
- closed, which means either the whole product or the part that holds the vaping substances, can’t be refilled
Most vapes or e-cigarettes consist of four different components, including:
- a cartridge or reservoir or pod, which holds a liquid solution (e-liquid or e-juice) containing varying amounts of nicotine, flavourings, and other chemicals
- a heating element (atomizer)
- a power source (usually a battery)
- a mouthpiece that the person uses to inhale
HOW IS VAPING DIFFERENT FROM SMOKING?
Vaping is different from smoking, which burns tobacco leaves creating smoke. Both vaping and smoking deliver nicotine, but the burning of tobacco causes most of the harm. Vaping, however, is not completely harmless but as we mentioned before it appears to be a healthier alternative to smoking cigarettes.
WHAT’S IN VAPE LIQUID (E-Liquid)?
The vaping liquid (also called e-liquid) typically contains propylene glycol, vegetable glycerine, flavours, and nicotine.
- Propylene glycol creates a throat sensation similar to smoking.
- A higher ratio of vegetable glycerine gives more vapour.
- Different flavours are added for personal preference and flavours must be water-soluble.
HOW VAPING HELPS SMOKERS
Quitting smoking can be tough. Vaping is a way to quit cigarettes by getting nicotine with fewer toxins from burning tobacco. You get to stay social and spend less, and once you’ve quit smoking you’ll feel better for it.
Although vaping’s much less harmful than smoking, it’s not harmless. So you should plan to eventually quit vaping too, but only when you know you won’t go back to smoking.